You have visited this page because you have expressed interest in playing Abandon Ship in a Closed Alpha format, so please read the following carefully. Everyone on the team is really appreciative of your support, so thank-you from all of us 🙂
What will I be testing?
Abandon Ship is taking a few people in groups in order to play through the first Act of the game.
This includes a tutorial, combat and exploration gameplay, all hooked up in a story format which ends in a boss fight against a Sea Monster. A single-playthrough of this can last anywhere between 2 and 4 hours depending on how quickly you do it.
This is only a small part of the overall game, but the opening hours of any game are absolutely crucial that they teach the player and that the experience is enjoyable. That is where we need your help!
Needless to say, the game is not yet finished. This means there will be bugs, missing features, rough edges and balancing.
What do I need to do?
This is NOT the kind of playtest where you get to just have fun and that’s it. This is the kind of playtest where you’ll really be helping us out by taking the time to analyse your experience and provide detailed feedback.
Not everyone will be accepted in the first rounds, but we will be offering subsequent rounds over time.
What we ask of you is the following:
1) You have a Windows-based PC, Steam account and an internet connection to download the game once you receive a key.
2) You provide details of your PC specification. Ideally, this would be in the form of a dxdiag report. If you don’t know how to do this, instructions can be found on the web.
3) You attempt to play through the entirety of Act 1 at least once.
4) You make notes as you play, focusing on anything you found confusing, unclear or annoying.
5) You keep a track of how long it takes to play, how many times you died, difficulty and anywhere you got stuck.
6) You provide a short, high-level synopsis of your experience as a whole. Think of this as like leaving a Steam review. Would you give it a thumbs up or thumbs down? Would you recommend it to your friends? What were your biggest takeaways?
7) We are interested in bugs, crashes, notes on framerate and any compatibility issues but it can be easy to focus on little details – please do not lose focus on the bigger items described above.
8) In ideal circumstances, you would capture a video that is uploaded to Youtube as “Unlisted” (it cannot be made public). The video would focus on your first 30 minutes of gameplay (basically the more the better). The quality needs to be readable, it doesn’t need to be super-high. Narration by yourself is optional! The video would be extremely helpful to us. Watching you play provides unbelievable value.
Feel free to use whatever works for you when it comes to recording video. I have personally used the following capture software before, they are free (or have free trial versions) and are easy to use:
This will get you added to the list of playtesters. When we do a new round of playtests, we will select people on a first-come-first-served basis.
This means that at some point in the future, you may be contacted to be involved with a playtest. Please do not hold it against us if you do not hear back from us, there will be more playtesters then there will be rounds of playtests!