Between 30 and 45 minutes.
There is a Combat Campaign off the main menu. This is a short tale that is nothing to do with the main story, that focuses on rescuing your kidnapped sister.
It is 10 sequential combats of increasing difficulty, with up to 5 port visits in between for the player to repair and upgrade their ship. The battles involve many of the environmental modifiers in the game, and is a shorter, more intense snapshot of the combat in Abandon Ship.
Of course, all of this is just our first release for Early Access. We plan a lot more, both in terms of refining what is already there, and adding a lot more content and systems.
In short, some of the things we are planning are:
– Lots of new systems in exploration mode and supporting content to make it feel more like a living world to interact with.
– Unlocking more regions with unique islands
– Side quests
– Making some of the player choices feed back into the game, so their decisions may come back to haunt (or help) them
– More environmental modifiers for combat
– AI improvements, including ramming and boarding the player
– More weapons, upgrades and sections
– More ships
– The second half of the main story
– Seasonal events (looking forward to exploring the Haunted Isles in October…)
– “Abandon Ship Stories” – a little like the Combat Campaign, these would be one-off stories separate from the main game that showcase new content in an easily accessible, standalone format. This is a format we can have some fun with; perhaps one story you will be a Cultist climbing the ranks, getting to control the Haliphron.
– Plus a whole host of polish, bug-fixes, quality-of-life changes and other improvements
We will publicly talk about these in more detail closer to our release.